Memorial Day Weekend! (Monday, May 30, 2022)
While you're out barbecuing and with family and friends this Memorial Day weekend, please take time to remember the brave men and women of the Armed Forces that didn't get to take off the uniform. Memorial Day is a day of mourning the U.S. Military Personnel who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. They paid the ultimate sacrifice while helping keep the United States the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Memorial Day Travel Safety
Many Americans are planning to travel during the upcoming holiday weekend.
The following are good reminders as you prepare to take to the road during the Memorial Day travel weekend.
- Buckle your safety belt - it's the best way to stay safe in a vehicle and remember, the national Click It or Ticket program is in full swing over the holiday weekend
- Don't drink and drive - even one alcoholic drink can reduce your abilities and impair your judgment
- Put down the cell phone - In many states, using your cell phone while driving is against the law
- Be prepared - take a map, atlas, or GPS device; make sure your spare tire is inflated and you know how to change it; have your car serviced before heading out; include an emergency kit with water and snacks in case you're stranded for more than a few hours; refuel BEFORE your gas warning indicator displays
- Turn down the music - hearing sirens and emergency vehicles is an important warning to slow down and drive cautiously - you may be approaching an accident scene
- Keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel - eating, looking for CDs, and digging for things in the floorboard or back seat can lead to trouble
- Be courteous - because of the volume of vehicles on the road, you're bound to run into a few traffic jams, be cut off, or be forced to stop short - remain calm and courteous - don't let other drivers ruin your holiday
- Get plenty of rest - make sure you're well-rested before getting behind the wheel, and rotate driving duties with others in the car to avoid becoming too sleepy or distracted
- Take frequent breaks - stop, get out of the vehicle and stretch your legs often
Travel safely and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!